I've been slacking the last couple days because I had a fun weekend camping! But that's no excuse :P Recently, I have been trying to think of different recipes to make with fresh mint because we have a plant and there is a ton of it! It's such a great herb..very potent!
Obviously, I have to do a little bit more thinking than normal when creating recipes because I have to make them gluten and dairy free. I recently bought this awesome rice mixture and thought I could use that with something. I came up with this rice recipe that involves a little bit of lemon and mint and some edamame (which if you don't know what that is, it is soy beans, that are very very high in fiber!). The rice was super yummy and could easily be used as a meal all in itself. ENJOY!
2 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 ¼ cups whole grain rice
1 ¼ low sodium chicken broth
1 ½ cup frozen edamame
1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
Salt and pepper
- Heat canola oil in medium sized saucepan with lid. Sautee onion and garlic for about 5 minut
- Add rice and coat with oil and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and about 1 cup of water to pan. Stir and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Uncover pot and put edamame on top of rice, cover pot again and cook until most of liquid is gone and rice is evaporated.
- Remove from heat. Let pot stand covered for about 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put rice in serving bowl. Squeeze juice from one lemon over the rice and edamame. Add fresh mint.