Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Quinoa with Pesto and Tomatoes


I've mentioned before that basil and tomatoes together are one of my favorite flavors ever. It is such an Italian thing..like a Caprese salad with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. YUM! I am so not Italian which is the funny thing, but I sure do love that kind of food! So back to  my recipe here...which is using basil and tomatoes in a different way. Usually pesto is used with some kind of pasta, but since that's out of the question unless you are using a gluten free pasta, I decided to switch it up a bit and use Quinoa. Quinoa is amazing! It's a grain and it is gluten free. It is also very high in fiber. The best part is it tastes good! I usually prepare it just like I would prepare couscous, although we all know couscous is not gluten free. With this recipe I paired together a very heart pesto, add some tomatoes, and mixed it all together with Quinoa.

2 cups low salt chicken broth
1 cup Quinoa
1/4 cup slice walnuts/almonds
3 garlic cloves
4 cups of fresh basil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups tomatoes, chopped

1. In medium sauce pan, pour broth and quinoa. Simmer until all the liquid is gone.

2. While quinoa is cooking, place sliced walnuts or almonds in heated skillet. Cook for about 4 minutes until lightly toasted. Removed from pan.

3. In a food processor, combine garlic and nuts. Process until minced. Add the basil, oil, salt, and pepper until all blended together. Spoon into bowl and fold in chopped tomatoes.

4. Once quinoa is cooked, combine with pesto and tomato mixture and eat up! So delicious !

No comments:

Post a Comment